Between 1953 and 1965, the Dutch War Graves Foundation created twelve military cemeteries in Europe, for Dutch victims of the Second World War, including the Orry-la-Ville military cemetery in France, which was inaugurated on May 3 1958. Due to maintenance cutbacks, the quality of the greenery had deteriorated significantly over the years, which meant that a major renovation became necessary. The Dutch garden and landscape architect John Todirijo was commissioned to create a plan through which symmetry, rest and dignity would be returned to the military cemetery and the maintenance of the planting would be simplified. This resulted in a detailed revitalisation plan with clear structures, increased breadth and depth and protected, enclosed places. Trees that had a place in the original 1956 design but had disappeared over time were reinstated.